Pepperell Board of Health

August 16, 2011

Meeting Minutes

Town Hall Conference Room A

                                                                                               

 

Call to order:   The Pepperell Board of Health was called to order at 7:00 pm, by Mr. Buckley. He informed all present at the meeting it was being tape recorded.  

 

Members Present:   Alfred Buckley, Chairman, John Marriner, Member, Phillip Durno, Member

Members Absent:                                                                                                                                                              

Staff Present:          Kalene Gendron R.S., Health Agent, Sandra Grogan, Board Secretary

Guests Present:      John Moak, Town Administrator, Paul MacDonald, Nashoba Publishing

Minutes to be approved:   Mr. Marriner made a motion to approve the minutes of August 02, 2011 as written.

                                          Mr. Durno seconded it.  A vote was taken.  All were in favor.    

Topic of Discussion

Relevant Discussion

Action taken

Vote taken

Future Meeting Dates:

  • September 7, 2011 and September 20, 2011

 

 

 

Correspondence:

PHER Grant-Update

 

 

  • The Health Agent (HA) has been in contact with Mass. Region II, Public Health Emergency Preparedness Coalition, in regards to the remaining grant money. The BOH will be returning the remainder of the PHER grant money.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Business:

DEP Letter

  • The HA informed the members of the Board, that she has been in contact with Mr. Adam Last, of CEA, about the  reduction in the ground waters VOC’s. Mr. Last will get in touch with Lynne Welsh of DEP, and provide necessary paperwork needed for the landfill reduction request.

 

 

Old Business:

18 Maple St. Unit 34

·        The HA performed another site visit along with the assistance of a police officer. Upon the site visit, Mr. Godsoe invited them in. Mr. Godsoe showed the HA that he has hot water in his dwelling. The HA feels he is making progress. Mr. Godsoe is still required to put a heating system within the dwelling; the heating season begins September 1 – June 15

·        The Board was glad to hear he is getting things done.

 

 

Old Business:

39 Blood St. – Update

 

 

 

 

Continued:

 

 

 

 

 

  • The HA reviewed the file with the members of the Board. They thought perhaps another letter should be sent out.

 

 

  • The HA informed the members that she had previously sent out a certified return receipt order of non-compliance, and when the HA spoke to Mr. Armstrong said “he didn’t receive any letter” yet he signed for it, so another letter may or may not do any good as this point. The house is in such deplorable conditions, as far as she can see and according to the police and ambulance reports.
  • The members feel the only way this family can remain safe is by removing them from these hazardous conditions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr. Durno made a motion to continue with the condemnation hearing.

 

Mr. Marriner seconded it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A vote was taken.

All were in favor.

 

 

Appointment:

James Garreffi-NABH

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • The members of the Board is asking Mr. Garreffi, why PBOH is being assessed at $54,000.00, whereas other towns that are part of NABH with similar population pay much less.
  • Mr. Garreffi explained when Pepperell became affiliated with NABH two years ago; I had limited records to assess the town’s need for services. “I took a look at one of our towns you were likely to be like so I picked Lunenburg, I took the difference between your population, the percentage, and that of Lunenburg’s assessment and added it up to come up with your environmental assessment.” The nursing services were set high as you had thirty hours a week nurse, and NABH didn’t want residents to miss out on those services.
  • Mr. Garreffi explained that NABH general board is looking at a new assessment based on recent federal census, housing stock and rolling averages.
  • Mr. Buckley said “he is only interested in the last two years that PBOH has been affiliated with NABH not what they did ten years ago.”
  • Mr. Marriner said “we want to make sure we’re not doing something wrong, and number two that you’re not overcharging us.” “Take Littleton, you’ve got 8,924 people and they’re assessed at $29,000.00, we have approximately 12,000 residents and we’re being assessed at $54,000.00. Something isn’t coming out right.”
  • NABH has a board that does the assessment of surrounding towns, but the current assessment of Pepperell had been left the same as last year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Mr. Marriner suggested to Mr. Garreffi, NABH surplus fund of $3.8 million dollars, may be interested in investing their money with Bartholomew Investments, because they are paying interest at 2.4%.
  • Mr. Garreffi assured the members of the Board, the bank that is holding their funds is fully insured and some of the money has been  invested into C.D.’s that pay a higher interest.
  • Mr. Marriner said “I’m holding NABH to the fire” he wants to make sure the money stays safe. He would like something in writing about the invested money.
  • Mr. Moak, commended NABH, for their hard work and support of the PBOH, but he is surprised there is not more data, since we driven by a adapt data society. In order to make decisions you need to have the data. He said “we have a good relationship with the Health Agent, Kalene Gendron, we are paying less than before, but are we paying too much?”
  • Mr. Garreffi said “he provided the Board with an assessment chart based on services provided.
  • Mr. Moak said “given the economics there can’t be more septic system installations now when compared to ten years ago.”
  • Mr. Garreffi reiterated the facts he presented to the members of the board were derived from his board. He said “his goal now is to put together different scenarios and present them to his board, regarding Pepperell’s assessment and what they do with this information he does not know.
  • Mr. Marriner is not complaining in the work, he said “we are interested in getting the finances down.”
  • At the Board’s request, Mr. Garreffi agreed to come back with real data comparing Pepperell to other member towns for the past twenty-four months.

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Business:

Public Safety Day

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Pepperell Fire department will be holding a public safety day held on September 10, 2011.
  • The BOH will set up a table with multiple brochures for public distribution.
  • Mr. Buckley, as well as other staff members will participate in this event.  

 

 

New  Business:

39 Prescott St.-Non compliant

  • When NABH became affiliated with the PBOH, back in July of 2009, there were some unfinished projects at the time. Our HA found that Ms. Rowse, was and still in non-compliance according to Mass. Title 5 regulations.
  • Once the presby system had been installed she should have filled out a deed restriction for the presby septic system and sent it to the state. This type of system requires an annual inspection throughout the life of the system. The PBOH has no records that this has been performed.
  • Ms. Rowse was made aware of this fact and was asked several times to have this form completed and file a copy to the PBOH, in order for her to receive her certificate of compliance.
  • The members of the Board would like to request Ms. Rowse, to attend the next Board meeting in order to rectify this violation.
  • A letter will be sent out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr. Durno made a motion that

Ms. Rowse attend the next

PBOH meeting.

 

Mr. Marriner seconded it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A vote was taken.

All were in favor.

Permits/Licenses

10 Blood St.

 

Permits:

45 Wheeler St.

  • The HA presented a permit to upgrade a failed system.

 

 

  • The HA presented a permit to replace the D-Box

Board approved and signed.

 

 

Board approved and signed

 

Mr. Marriner made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Mr. Durno seconded it. A vote was taken. All were in favor.

Meeting was adjourned at 8: 50 pm

Next Meeting: September 7, 2011

Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Grogan, Board Secretary

 

 

_____________________________              _________________________    _______________________________                    

  Alfred Buckley, Chairman                  John Marriner, Member          Phillip Durno, Member