Pepperell Board of Health

November 16, 2010

Meeting Minutes

Town Hall Conference Room A

                                                                                               

 

Call to order:   The Pepperell Board of Health was called to order at 7:00 PM by Mr. Buckley. He informed all present the meeting was being recorded.

Members Present:   Alfred Buckley Chairman, John Marriner Member

Members Absent:                                                                                                                                                               

Staff Present:          Kalene Gendron R.S., Health Agent

Guests Present:       Ken Gikas, PHEP Region 2, Doug Smith, SoilSmith Design, Kelly Brought, Nashoba Publishing, Dwight Young, 17 Williams St.

Minutes to be approved:   Mr. Buckley made a motion to accept the minutes of Oct. 19, & Oct. 27, 2010.

                                          Mr. Marriner seconded it. A vote was taken. All were in favor.  

Topic of Discussion

Relevant Discussion

Action taken

Vote taken

Calendar:

December  Dates

  • The Board agreed to December 7th  2010 &

 December 21, 2010, for meetings.

 

 

Bill Warrant:

Invoice from Dr. Smith, Veterinarian

  • Mr. Marriner wanted to know why the BOH is paying for a cat to be euthanized.
  • ‘If the veterinarian deems it necessary and the cat is rabid there is no reason for it to be alive otherwise it would have to quarantined for life” explained the Health Agent Gendron.
  • Mr. Buckley wanted to know whose cat was it.
  • The Health Agent will touch base with the Animal Inspector.
  • Mr. Buckley would like more information about this veterinarian bill.
  • Mr. Buckley said “all he would like to see is a form from the Animal Inspector, explaining why the Board is approving these bills.”

 

 

 

Old Business:

17 Williams St.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continued

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Scheduled Appointment:

60A Nashua Rd.

Variance Request

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  •  Mr. Young had called the BOH office and said “he would like to postpone the up grading of his septic system until spring of “2011 as he was looking into find a grant that would help subsidize the cost.” The BOH has a copy of his Title 5, report which shows it has failed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  •  The Health Agent stated “she doesn’t think the system can wait until spring as the report states the system is breaking out onto the ground plus there is a clogged pipe.” The Health Agent is asking the Board “ whether they feel Mr. Young should start immediately or wait?”             

                                                                                          

  • Mr. Buckley asked “if Mr. Young gave a letter explaining why he wants to wait until spring?”
  • The Health Agent stated “No.” “He called the Secretary and said he wanted to wait until spring to upgrade.” According to Title 5 he has two years to upgrade the system, but if the BOH deems it an imminent health hazard it could be done sooner.
  • Mr. Buckley asked “if this is considered a health hazard.”
  • “Per Title 5 it is a health hazard” explained Health Agent Gendron.
  • Mr. Marriner would like the Health Agent to do a site visit, and if there a problem ask him to correct it immediately, if not grant him an extension.
  • Health Agent updated Mr. Young “the Board’s decision of having her do a site visit and upon what she finds it will determine the time frame of upgrading the septic system.”

 

 

 

 

  • Mr. Doug Smith, of Soilsmiths Design, is requesting a variance for this property.  Mr. Smith gave a little history of this property. Back in “2006” a Perc test couldn’t be done on the property as the ground was to wet. Mr. Smith went back this year and a Perc test was performed and it was a successful Perc. I am asking for a variance to go with the 110 gpd, instead of the 150 gpd, that the BOH requires.   
  • It is a two bedroom and will have deed restriction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr. Marriner made a motion to accept the variance request of 150 gpd to 110 gpd at 60A Nashua Rd.

 

Mr. Buckley seconded it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A vote was taken.

All were in favor.

 

 

224 South Rd:

Variance Request

 

  • Mr. Doug Smith has designed a new septic system for this failed system. He would like to request a change from 150 gpd to 110 gpd.
  • The Health Agent reviewed the plan and agrees with the request.

 

 

 

 

  • The Health Agent asked for the Board to vote on the for the disposal construction permit at this property. 

 

Mr. Marriner made a motion to accept the variance request from 150 to 110 gpd.

 

Mr. Buckley abstained as he does business for this person.

 

 

 

 

 

Mr. Marriner made a motion to approve this permit.

 

Mr. Buckley had to abstain

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A vote was taken.

Mr. Marriner voted aye.

 

Mr. Buckley abstained.

Bill Warrant:

Landfill Monitoring

  • The Health Agent updated the Board about the landfill monitoring and gave the Board a letter from CEA that provided a break down of costs for the second year of the three year contract with them. A lap top computer was purchased with the equipment grant through Region 2.
  •  Next meeting the Health Agent will give the Board a breakdown of when the money will run out for the landfill monitoring and when the Board should consider taking action because the money will be gone.

The Board signed the renewal letter from CEA and a bill warrant.

 

Region 2: Planner

Mr. Ken Gikas

  • Mr. Gikas and the Health Agent drove through the town to look at different areas for a dispensing site for a disaster. The Nissitissit School is a good location for the site.
  • Mr. Buckley wanted to know if it could handle 4,000 people in 48 hours.
  • Mr. Gikas, stated “calculations say you can fit 145 cars per mile.
  • Mr. Marriner wanted to know how people can find out about this.
  • Mr. Gikas said “reverse 911, web pages, word of mouth. The reverse 911 is the best way to get information out.
  • The State is hot to trot with  “Individuals needing assistance,” we have identified nursing homes, group homes, the only problem we having is the person home bound, due to the HHPA laws.” “If we don’t have a way to get this information then when it comes time for dispensing vaccines to these people our hands are tied.” With the help of the State this can be resolved.
  • Mr. Buckley asked “if each driver drives up and rolls down the window to get an injection?”
  • Mr. Gikas replied “this is not vaccinating it is handing out anti-biotic pills.”
  • The second subject is the Nims 100 and 700 training. Mr. Gikas can email the contact information for this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Business:

13 Heald St.

Nuisance Complaint

 

 

 

 

  • The Health Agent brought a complaint that came in and the Board read through the Agent’s memo and reviewed the pictures of the property in question. She said nothing stood out there was a pile of leaves.  I’m asking the Board to make a motion whether it is a letter or site visit or no violation.
  • Mr. Buckley doesn’t see any violations. 

 

 

 

 

Mr. Marriner made a motion we do nothing regarding this complaint.

 

Mr. Buckley seconded it.

 

 

 

 

A vote was taken.

All were in favor.

 

 

 

 

New Business:

Signing authority for DSCP for single component

 

 

 

 

 

Signing authority for emergency beaver permits

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • The Health Agent is asking for two items agree to disagree the first is for sole authority to sign disposal construction permit for a single component, if someone has a broken D-Box that is repaired. I just had one come in and I had to wait until our meeting in order to have it signed. It is just a single component. If it two items I will bring it to the Board.
  • The second request by the Health Agent to have sole authority to sign emergency beaver permits. Under Mass. General Law it falls under the BOH. If Conservation Committee denies the work to get done, the BOH has the authority to override them and sign the permit.
  • Mr. Buckley says “it expedites thing and as long as we know about it at the next meeting fine.”
  • Mr. Marriner said so moved.
  • The Health Agent reiterated that the Board gave her sole authority to sign temporary food permits, disposal construction permit for single component only, and emergency beaver permits.

 

 

Other Item:

20 Wheeler Rd.

  • The Health Agent had issued an order to the homeowner of this property since it has been a long standing problem.
  • The Board agreed with the Health Agent issuing this order.

Mr. Buckley made a motion to approve the order.

Mr. Marriner seconded it.

 

A vote was taken.

All were in favor.

Other Item:

New Agenda

 

 

 

 

 

Other Item:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Other Item:

Trailer

 

 

 

Other Items:

  • Mr. Buckley likes the new agenda except for the walk in appointments.
  •  The Health Agent will move the scheduled appointments.

 

  • Mr. Marriner wanted to know about the meeting scheduled with the Town Administrator.
  • Mr. Buckley explained to Mr. Marriner that the secretary doesn’t need to be at this meeting, as the Board should be her for fighting. The issue is over the mold in the office.
  • Mr. Marriner wanted to know what will happen if it can not be rectified?
  • Mr. Buckley said it is up to the Town Administrator to decide at that point what happens.

 

 

 

  • The Board asked if the water in the trailer had been turned off.
  • Mr. Buckley would like the Secretary to notify the water department to disconnect the meter and shut the water off.

 

  • The Health Agent reminded the Board of the Selectmen’s meeting to decide on the BOH vacancy and their will be a meeting by the Town Administrator to discuss the “budget for 2012” he is asking for a department head to attend.

 

  • The Board discussed the current budget and the grant money from Region 2, the equipment grant. The current budget shows some line items have not been touched because of the grants, but the grants will run out and we will have to use these line items that have been budgeted.  This may or may not come up at the meeting.

 

 

 

Mr. Marriner made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Mr. Buckley seconded it. A vote was taken. All were in favor.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:33 PM

Next Meeting: December 7, 2010

Respectfully submitted by:   Sandra Grogan, Board Secretary

 

 

_____________________________              _________________________      

  Alfred Buckley, Chairman                     John Marriner, Member