Pepperell Board of Health

June 30, 2009 Meeting Minutes



Call to order:†††††††††††††† The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM.

Members Present:†††††††† Robert Lambert Chairperson, John Marriner, Alfred Buckley

Members Absent:†††††† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Staff Present:††† ††††††††††Sandra Grogan, Board Secretary, Robin Hebert

Guests Present: Don Eriksson, Free Press, Mike Blood, Chef on Wheels LLC, Jim Garreffi Nashoba Boards of Health, Kalene Garbarz Nashoba Boards of Health

Minutes to be approved:†† Mr. Marriner made a motion to accept the minutes of June 10, 2009.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Mr. Lambert seconded it. A vote was taken. All were in favor.

Topic of Discussion

Relevant Discussion

Action taken

Vote taken



Scheduled Appointment:

Mike Blood, Scotch Pine Restaurant





         Mr. Lambert opened the meeting asking Mr. Blood to tell the Board why he was there.

         Mr. Blood explained he would like to add a convection oven and refrigerator and sell his baked goods in the gift shop. Presently he sells some baked goods that are prepared in the back kitchen and then brought to the gift shop to sell. He would be like to cook bake goods before people so people can see, and smell the food. He realizes he would have to revamp the gift shop a little buy adding a steel wall behind the convection oven and put in a three bay sink, hand sink and a stainless refrigerator to keep the product in. We will still prepare our different doughís in the kitchen. The 3 bay sinks are in order to wash the sheet pans and utensils out there instead of walking through the restaurant. I plan to rip up the carpet where the cooking area will be and put in VCT tile and hook up a sink there. This would be very minimal work. Mr. Blood gave the Board a drawing and proposal of his proposed idea.

         Mr. Lambert asked if there would be a fan blower.

         Mr. Blood said he could but he didnít put that in the drawing because there is a fan in the convection oven.

         Mr. Lambert asked where the fan blower would face.

         Mr. Blood said it would blow out the wall, he asked if he had to have a hood over it.





         Mr. Lambert said no, as long as you have it from the oven out.

         Mr. Blood asked if the layout is good. He wants permission before he starts pulling permits. He said he would begin the project in August and have it done in September for the fall season.

         Mr. Lambert asked when he would start.

         Mr. Blood said as soon as the BOH gives permission. No one can get in the back to pull things out. They will have staff there and display cases will be in front to prevent anyone from getting behind to help themselves.

         Mr. Buckley asked where he was going to get the hot water from.

         Mr. Blood he would pull it from the hot water heater. Is there any size 3 bay sink he needs. Itís just for washing utensils.

         Mr. Lambert asked if he would be running a lot of water from those sinks.

         Mr. Blood does not think so.

         Mr. Marriner said his concern is soon or later all these sinks and the sewer system is going to come under scrutiny. We havenít been able to find a good plan of the leach field. If everything goes fine and there are no smells thatís fine, but if itís not fine O boy.

         Mr. Blood had it drained two weeks ago. He has it done twice a year. Itís going to be the same stuff we make but, we will do it front of the customer. No pots, pans just utensils will be washed in the gift shop area.

         Mr. Buckley asked about mop sinks.

         Mr. Blood said the mop sink is in the main kitchen area out in the back.

         Mr. Blood wanted to know who he gets in touch with since we will be part of Nashoba.

         Mr. Garreffi said just call his office.
















































Mr. Buckley made a motion to accept the plans provided by Mr. Blood.


Mr. Marriner seconded it.

























































A vote was taken.

All were in favor.

Scheduled Appointment:

Nashoba Associated Boards of Health


         Mr. Lambert introduced Mr. Garreffi, of Nashoba Boards of Health to the Board members. He said he would give

††††††† Mr. Garreffi a copy of Mr. Bloodís drawing.

         Mr. Garreffi introduced Kalene Garbarz as Pepperellís Health agent. The two secretaries in the office are Marlene and Annette we can call about records, questions, or get in touch with someone in particular.





         Mr. Garreffi would like to have office hours on Monday from 2:00 Ė 4 PM and Wednesday & Friday from

†††††† 8:00 Ė 10:00 AM. In the Pepperell office. Mr. Garreffi ††

†††††† wanted to know when the Board held their meetings.

         Mr. Lambert said the first and third Tuesday of the month.

         Mr. Garreffi brought in copy of title 5 application for Board to review. He explained this is an example of a septic permit. Itís a 4 copy paper. When a permit gets reviewed the name of engineer the inspection dates and any conditions are listed on the permit and sent to the Board for signature. Then the inspection is scheduled. After we review the plans and they are acceptable we would put together a permit with the plan and bring it before the Board for your consideration. Mr. Garreffi wanted to know if that was acceptable to the Board.

         Mr. Lambert and Mr. Marriner said this is fine.

         Mr. Garreffi said once the inspections are done the certificate of compliance would be based on that last inspection and we would have our agent sign it if that is the Boards wishes. For food service permits we e since we do so many usually we would sign the permit.

         Mr. Lambert said the Board signs the permit.

         Mr. Garreffi showed the Board the food application. We will do the inspection and send a copy.

         Mr. Marriner said the Board does not to sign the permits.

         Mr. Garreffi said they will do schedule food inspections

         Mr. Marriner asked if Nashoba finds a violation at a food establishment that needs to be addressed he asked Mr. Garreffi before Nashoba takes corrective measures it to the next step whether it is fineable; bring this to the Board attention.

         Mr. Garreffi said if there is an issue with compliance we will bring it before you first. If we think they need to come before the Board we will let you know. You will get copies of the inspection reports.

         Mr. Marriner stated that one of the Board members may know the party in question and may be a word behind the scenes can produce the same results of compliance with a lot less cost.

         Mr. Garreffi said they will appreciate anything the Board can do. There are many types of permits that need signatures. He asked if the Board would like they will sign the permit.

         Mr. Lambert and Mr. Marriner agreed to this.



         Mr. Garreffi asked about the fee schedule.

         Mr. Lambert asked Mrs. Grogan to explain our fee schedule verses Nashobaís fee schedule.

         Mrs. Grogan said if Nashoba charges a lower fee than Pepperell. The Pepperell BOH would ask for a check for the remaining balance to be written to the Town of Pepperell.

         Mr. Marriner asked if plans need to go to Nashoba in Ayer.

         Mr. Garreffi said they can come into Pepperellís office.

         Mr. Marriner would like to see a cell phone number added to the list of numbers.




         Mr. Garreffi said food establishment permits are a higher fee than Pepperellís fee. I would like Pepperell to know the cost of fees. We donít want to miss anything and have delays in issuing permits.† Housing inspections normally are done then we come back to the office and send a letter and if it needs to be certified we do it if itís necessary. Do you need the letter before hand or is it alright after the letter is sent out.

         Mr. Lambert said that is fine. He will go out to introduce the Health Agent to the food establishments.

         Mr. Garreffi said the nurses were in the town today introducing themselves.

         Mrs. Grogan asked Mr. Garreffi about residents bringing in needles do we accept them.

         Mr. Garreffi said they have a container that people can purchase. The container will cost depending on the size $10.00 for the large and $5.00 for the smaller container. They fill it and we will dispose of them. We will keep a container in the office if you have occasional needles that can be dropped off.

         Mr. Lambert asked about dead birds.

         Mr. Garreffi said we donít collect them anymore. He asked how Pepperell handles sending out dead animal.

         Mrs. Hebert said she will go to the veterinarian and he will send the animal out for testing.

         Mr. Garreffi would like to talk to the superintendent for the dental screening. Hopefully

         Mr. Marriner asked what Nashoba does.





         Mr. Garreffi stated at the beginning of the school year the teachers will send home a permission slip to be signed by the parent. This is for first and fifth grades. Nashoba will be doing a screening and cleaning that is set up with the nurse. They have portable equipment. The other things the dental service provides is going into the kindergarten, second and fourth grade class rooms and educate children dental hygiene.

         Mr. Marriner asked what happens after the screening.

         Mr. Garreffi said the hygienist would send home a note saying we did the screening today we think you should go see a dentist.

         Mr. Marriner asked if Pepperell BOH is taking on any liability doing this.

         Mr. Garreffi said no.

         Mr. Marriner said all you are doing is looking and cleaning. Mr. Marriner asked how much this program costs.

         Mr. Garreffi doesnít really know.

         Mr. Marriner asked if we eliminated the fee of this part of the program could we save $5,000.00.



         Mr. Garreffi said the way the bylaws are written we are not suppose to have separate deals. I have asked the nurse to keep track of their time. If you want us to be at the Senior Center at a certain time, we need to hear that from the Board.† We want to have good documentation. We will look for savings.

         Mr. Marriner asked if a person has done something that is not in your scope to do, I think we would not want to sign off on it.

         Mr. Garreffi said we tell people we work for the Pepperell Board of Health. We do what the Board of Health asks.

         Mr. Marriner asked if any town has asked that fourth graders get the dental service. †He said he is anticipating the school department may say lets increase this program to another grade especially if they donít have to pay for it.

         Mr. Garreffi said the school would have to talk to you. When I talk to the superintendent I will show them the same dental program I showed you and say this is what the Board gets for membership with Nashoba. I want this to work just as much as the Board does.





         Mr. Lambert wants the townspeople to know the transaction between Nashoba and Pepperell BOH has gone very smoothly. Mr. Lambert asked Kalene when she will begin working.

         Miss Garbarz will begin Wednesday July 1, 2009.


         Mr. Lambert asked Mrs. Hebert to give an update as Animal Inspector.


         Mrs. Hebert said presently all is quite. She did express concern that she is not receiving paperwork for animal bites from the hospitals in a timely fashion. She canít quarantine an animal if she gets the paperwork 15 days later.

         Mrs. Grogan told Mrs. Hebert that she was on the phone with the local hospital to make sure paperwork gets out immediately so the Animal Inspector can follow up on animal bites. She keeps track of animals in Pepperell does barn inspections.












Other Item:

Up date on Mason Rd.






Planning Board:

Comments on 16 Deerfield Dr.



         The following permits were signed:† Pepperell Skydiving Center, Maple Dene Summer Camp, Mass Premier Soccer Camp, and Tasty Fry Temp. Food permit, Pepperell Womanís Club Temp. Food permit, White Mountain Creamery Temp. Food permit, D & K Entertainment Temp. food permit, Lot 34 Nashua Rd, SDS Lot 30, Nashua Rd. SDS, 11 Prescott St. SDS, 53 Nashua Rd..† Two bill warrants.




         A brief letter was read noting that Mr. Clark is working on sewer lines and manholes. They have been installed, up to and including sewer manhole #1. He is preparing to install the sewer works from manhole #10 to manhole #11on the upper A Lane Rd. Then they will be installing sewer services starting in the area where we have ledge and plan to finish with the sewer main from Mason St. to sewer manhole #8 on Coco Way.† The DPW is doing inspections on the work.



         The Board has no comment as this property is on Town sewage and Town water.



























Mr. Buckley made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Mr. Marriner seconded it All were in favor.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:27pm

Next Meeting: †July 7th and July 21st, 2009

Respectfully submitted by:†† Sandra Grogan



_____________________________††† †††_________________________ ††††††__________________________

† Robert Lambert, Chairperson†† ††††††††††† John Marriner†† ††††††††††† ††††††††††† †† †Alfred Buckley